If you’re a serious wine collector or drinker then you’ll appreciate the lengths that people go to in order to properly store their wines. From expensive cooling systems that can cost thousands of pounds to just a simple cellar in your basement, there are plenty of ways to keep your most prized wine bottles. That’s why many passionate wine lovers have taken to renovating their cellar in order to have more space to store their wine and install sophisticated cooling systems to keep their wine at the optimal temperature.
However, if you already have a relatively larger collection of wine bottles then it can be a little awkward to perform any renovations without first moving your collection out of the cellar. This is especially true if you’re looking to perform major renovations such as adding a new cooling system or adding more racks that go higher than your existing ones.
This can create a lot of problems for serious wine collectors and drinkers because moving the collection out of your cellar can expose it to suboptimal conditions that might negatively affect the wine. Wine should ideally be stored in a dark area that is nice and cool with around 50% to 80% humidity. By moving your wine out of the cellar, it’s difficult to replicate those conditions for a long period of time. Luckily, there is a perfectly acceptable solution for this.
Why a Storage Unit Makes the Perfect Place to Store Your Wine Collection
One of the best solutions for storing your wine collection while the renovations are taking place is to rent out a storage unit. A storage unit is an excellent choice for a number of different reasons:
- They’re nice and dark which means they won’t be exposed to the sunlight
- You can take out and use your existing wine storage furniture such as racks because there’s a lot of space available in self-storage units
- The temperature can often be controlled or at least be kept cool
- The humidity conditions are often perfect for storing wine
- There’s nothing to disrupt the wine or damage it since the units are left alone
- You can ask for collection services to pick up the wine and have it delivered straight to your unit
- It’s an inexpensive way to store your prized collection off-site and in trusted hands
Of course, not every self-storage unit is the same and it’s important to check with the facility regarding temperature, humidity and price. You can click here to look at Henfield Storage, one of the premium options in the country for affordable and high-quality self-storage services that will make storing your wine collection a breeze.
At the end of the day, renovating your wine cellar is a great idea to establish better conditions for storing your wine. However, you need to have a place to store your collection safely as the renovations are being performed, and a storage unit establishes the perfect conditions for your wine to stay safe and out of harm’s way.